Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In and Out of the Box: Thinking Outside The Box

In & Out of The Box  C.T. Rasmuss, pastels (2007).
Many times in our creative lives we hear the expression: "think outside of the box"; but what is to be said to those who actually live outside of this box?

I believe we artists tend to live this expression in our daily lives, which may be why we, or shall I say "art" has chosen us as a career path; this all comes to mind because of the last few years, I've realized that I never have a problem "thinking outside of the box" whenever it's emphasized, whether in my college days or work, etc.

Intersectioning  C.T. Rasmuss, ink (2008)
In all the time that I've encountered this phrase or philosophy throughout my life, I've cherished its implication and have always tried to meet it with the best of enthusiasm.  Naturally, I always exude extreme passion into the tasks that require this approach, and and in all this time I'd never realized, that unlike most people that "live inside the box" I "Live" outside the box!

And by realizing this, I also have come to the conclusion that this can have many draw backs just as living "inside the box" can in the creative world.  Some of these draw backs that I've discovered include: staying "grounded" with the others that live "inside the box"; being able to relate to and understand the contents of "The box"; and the idea of living on the Frey is notoriously dangerous in numerable ways.

Firescape  C.T. Rasmuss,  ink/pastels (2010).
And now onto the artwork- One thing that these three examples of my art have in common, other than the mediums, is not just the boxes or lines they all have in common, but how one negotiates in and out of their space, inside and outside of boxes and the painting. 

I think my art-work here represents how the mind treats ideas & thoughts then shuffles through them, and how each one represents a different approach to the cognitive idea of: Thinking Outside of the Box, and the big question here is "Where and how do you think"??





No comments:

Post a Comment