Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Jean-Michel 'Basquiatesque' Painting Surface

                                                     'Ode to Basquiat on Barnside', C.T. Rasmuss; 2011

He would often draw on random objects and surfaces, including other people's property.  I remember coming across the artist, Basquiat many times since 2005, when my 1st real art teacher in college advised me to look him up; because she saw some characteristics in my painting style that were similar to his.  This was later confirmed in my Drawing class at USF in Tampa; when my art instructor exclaimed that I had a "Basquiatesque drawing style". 

As I encountered this artist more and more through research, and also because Basquiat being the artist of many artworks I was drawn to time and time again, I was exposed to some of his most interesting techiniques, using anything within reach as well, but not just in medium any more ( like I was somewhat influenced by Pollock's spontaneous flirtations w/ putting what ever he felt like putting into his works of art), but the act of applying any type of medium onto any surface that could hold it, like the doors Basquiat would find and paint (door jam and all as seen below). 

                                                              Example of 3 doors painted by Basquiat.

I find my Ode to Basquiat on Barnside's painting surface (being rough outdoor panneling) to be most similar to the surface used in Basquiat's painting found below, on the left side.  I applied my applied painting technique and the pouring method to it along with things like the paint stir that was of no longer use to me, a paint lid of an emptied paint can and other misc. objects: a couple push pins and a dime I flipped into it that I found on the floor, rather than putting it into my pocket.  I'd like to think both Basquiat and Pollock would be proud of everything that went into the painting literally, not because of the objects themselves (Pollock) or the obscure panel I used (Basquiat); but because, the entire process from painting surface to all the other ingredients used, were completely spontaneous and unplanned...without rules or any critical after thought.  A true intersection I believe; where the three of us could meet, at a new artwork we all had in common.



                                                    Basquiat with some of his 'Carte de visite' paintings.


                    


4 comments:

  1. yes, for sure.I once ran into some folks local to Hamilton who studied the nicholaedes (sp)way of drawing: a lot of contour approaches, and even eyes closed and feel the paper kinds of experiences. You can smell the paint, the water if you are with it, if your smell the water sans the normal humidity in the studio the texture of paint the shine of acrylic and the brush hairs flexible, some leaving the brush ( hopefully not too many)...My smallest brushes as in swelling hair, are sometime tufted by scrubbing and dragging and are thin. I still use them and line comes linear in color.....sometimes mars black.... lineal in space and therefore have as lineal elements a kind of tension that is monumental especially with a change of color on the tip. acrylic gleams in the light. did you.... have you noticed. can you smell the water in the brush, can you smell the press in the paper the grain, the grain tries to rub you the wrong way and you are master over the grain as you develop kinetic oneness in the medium.Rebeyrolle Fautrier, Wols. Aleschinsky (Ale.from COBRA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to look up the many good references you left for us, Fautier, had an interesting expedition in 1928, pruducing a series of engravings for 'The Divine Comedy' by Dante, a book I have always enamoured; some good motivation to read some more of it, to get me out of the Inferno, almost there too,lol! Awesome when things come full circle like that for ya, will make sure to keep him on the list and do further research on the others, as this Post was generated in much the same way over 7 years ago! Thank you Savannah!!

      C.T.

      Delete
  2. Chad, I suggest you check out the movie DOWNTOWN'81 it has Basquait acting in it... Not only does it fearure the cream if the No Wave movement bands but features Jean actually acting and doing some graffiti... Its an inspiring film... In one part Jean writes GOLDTEETH (if i properly recall) and it was great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wll do Mr. Abnoxious, thank you for the suggestion sounds like an artistic movie with a low budget and real live acting, the kind I like, Chaplin, Buster Keaton ways are too long forgotten, real entertainment with real people..

    ReplyDelete