Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Portland Headlight: I made it to Maine.


Well I made it to Maine, as I left Cincinnati October 3rd, and now just settling in...enough about me, so onto bigger and better things, such as my life's work!  As in: "one day I'll be dead" given that, my hope is that one day I'll at least have something to show for it, other than an obsolete social security number, tax records, student loan debt, etc.  lol!!! same ole same ole..

I've posted an oil painting seen above, and a watercolor seen below; of the Portland Headlight, a favorite of mine for the moment, as it is winter and very cold now: so places like Mohegan Island, Ogunquit, Prouts Neck n such will just have to wait til explorable weather returns here in the spring, sooner the better!
 

I recently became a member of the Portland Museum of Art (PMA), first time I'd ever joined a museum, but I figure it'll suit me better than a gym membership, not to mention way cheaper, and keep me in painterly shape...better than rock hard abbs ever would.  I was impressed with its wide range of selected works: from Rockwell Kent, Robert Henri, Winslow Homer to Marsden Hartley, Frank Stella, Braque and Miro also a neat local artistry of Modern Menagerie on the 4th floor.

All in all I was most impressed by Robert Henri's two 10"x8" oil studies of rocks and tides, painted here in Maine one hundred years ago.  After trying to figure out the best way to start here composition wise, his two oils further cemented my intuition that I need to get down into the "mud, rocks and crashing waves"; upon seeing his work and finding further readings on him and his Ashcan renegades from the turn of the Century, I feel as though I've picked up the scent to where he and his group "The Eight" once resided, a group which he later formed (some from the Ashcan) formed out of the ruggedness of Maine.

Much more of this to come, as I dive further into and diverge out of this Newly found Abyss, as of now I've started a new winter project:

Whale Teeth




No comments:

Post a Comment