Monday, March 26, 2012

Artist Integrity

Kandinsky Trial 1  C.T. Rasmuss, Gouache (2011).

Repeating the past is a great pitfall to the contemporary artist, concerning his originality and artist integrity; especially when it comes to paying homage to one's hero, yet breaking free from confining traditions already set in place.

True glory in my opinion, happens when the artist is able to take what he's learned from those artists, that have gone before him, and display his new discoveries of beauty to a welcoming world...and without losing the foundation of the past, which his artwork rests upon.

2 comments:

  1. yeah,I was at the smithsonian hirshorn museum in DC yesterday on sunday and saw some william baziotes (five) of em' nice and also kandinskys three of em' nice work. the kandisnsy's remind me of your attempt to the right. very fresh your attempt and your statement. biggest surprise, well, two surprises were the wonderful full forntal de koonings and some older historical works by de kooning dating back to 37' or 41' next biggest surprise were the francis bacons and they were truly monumental in size and pose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things, I can't wait to be able to get to the Smithsonian so I can see for myself and second, I can't wait till I'm able to get into a large enough studio in order to attempt the same Monumental scale you are so enchanted by:) I believe the space in which a piece is created, has much to do with the outcome and character of any significant or monumental piece.

      Delete