Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Walt Disney's Space Mountain, from Art to Reality; Could I do the Same??





I created the above ceramic piece out of a single slab of left over clay, about 12" in diameter; after finishing the sculpture I felt that it needed to be larger somehow.  Perhaps by way of a public work! "if I'm so lucky"...

Well, an artist by the name of Marijan Gusar posts artwork/information by famous artists on his artist page, in memory of their birthdays/artwork.  This has in return inspired me to do a search earlier today;
"Who's birthday it might be today", and the most familiar artist I could find was no other than
Walt Disney, lol..

I thought to myself "how can I relate to Walt Disney??" and it was easy..after some thought of course:

1st.   I was born in L.A., where I've re-visited a few times since leaving at the age of 2.
2nd.  I spotted a drawing for Space Mountain, and remembered it from the times I went to Disneyland; the monorail and all that stuff - no doubt that the drawing is a form of art, and on January 15th, 1975 it became a full scale reality.

Sketch for Disney's Space Mountain.
                                                                         
This in turn has led me to 'believe' that my sculpture could one day become a Gallery, to display artwork in it, a set-up sorta like the Guggenheim(as seen below).

Guggenheim Museum, New York.

I would of course dedicate it to Piet Mondrian and the De Stijl movement, which my sculpture is originally modeled after; whatever the case may be..

Happy Birthday Walt Disney!!!

(And thank you again for inspiring, "the possibility of turning our dreams into a reality")

Photograph of the 'actual' Space Mountain in Disneyland.














No comments:

Post a Comment