Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Van Gogh's 'Undergrowth with Two Figures', an Inspiring Work of Art.

                    Undergrowth with Figure at Sawyer Point C.T. Rasmuss, Oil (June 12, 2013).


I set this composition according to Van Gogh's 'Undergrowth with Two Figures' (June 1890), created in Auvers-sur-Oise, France.

I don't live in France and have never been, and I've never saw undergrowth such as in Van Gogh's painting...so when I was out on the Riverfront scouting for a good place to paint for the day, I was surprised to notice what was available to me on the Ohio River.  I've studied this painting every time I go to the Cincinnati Art Museum..and I absolutely love it(featured below)..

                       Undergrowth with Two Figures  Vincent Van Gogh, oil (June 1890).

My painting is a mix of an intriguing 'figure' (a brilliant white venue overhang) surrounded by 'undergrowth', I also replaced the trash cans with tall outdoor vases w/ flowers.  My favorite part as well as in Van Gogh's masterpiece, is the large tree smack dab in the middle right of the work; I saw this in his as a broken rule and  an obstacle he set to overcome..which I believe sets up the ultimate view of the two figures, and otherwise would be bland and ineffective if it weren't for the purposeful obstacle!

Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment