Monday, May 4, 2015

Daniel Carter Beard Bridge; 1st 'En Plein Air' of 2015


Today, May 4th was my first oil painting of 2015 that I'd attempted outside - en plein air; I intended to try painting outside this past winter in January or February to capture the beauty of virgin snow, but failed to do so, and making this victory that much sweeter!

The painting I posted above was just one sitting which I finished in under 2 hours today because I ran out of time, question now is: "am I done?" well funny thing is; as the alarm on my phone went off, telling me time was up: my last two brush strokes felt so good, telling me it was perfect timing to end it.

I could just as easily continue on this painting: adding detail, fixing lines, color, etc. but when it feels right, its right, and that's pretty much all I have to say..."on to the next" as they say.


This photo is where I was today and painted from, I was on a hill and had a great spot today, as I've painted this bridge a few times before.  There's one specifically that I did last year was on flat ground further up the bank, and it took more than one sitting; Although I didn't paint it at the river bank, but instead at home outside in my backyard.  

I just sold it last month and will miss it, but I'm definitely, as always, excited to move on in search of something better!


***After taking a quick break from writing this blog, unfortunately it has now come to my attention via my lovely girlfriend Michelle, that my painting could use a few finishing touches.  Ones that I could either agree with or dismiss, proving that an artists work is never truly done until they're completely satisfied, and due to this latest critique by such a treasured opinion, I must retract my: "when it feels right its right" conclusion and wait patiently til it drys; and try once again for a happy ENDing..





No comments:

Post a Comment