Friday, July 24, 2015

Artist Process: 'White Rose', Demo turned into a Work of Art.

'White Rose'  C.T. Rasmuss, acrylic - 14"x 18" (2015).

I hope you like what you see here!!!

 I meant to post this a few months back when I actually finished this painting after 3 short sittings.  I started it as a demo to a student of mine, during a 2 hour beginner class.  After the class I put it away for about week or so, until I took another look.  In order to establish artist process, you can see the original for yourself, which I've posted below...as finished in the class I taught:

"'White Rose' - 1st composition"   C.T. Rasmuss, acrylic - 14"x 18" (2015). 

You'll notice, all I did was add more layers, detail and mostly plenty of texture to my favorite part of the finished painting:  it's Blue vase!

This entire composition and floral was taken mostly from the top of my head, and partly from a few imitation silk florals that I pieced together for my student's lesson.  Upon reviewing the original condition of the Still life, my girlfriend agreed and convinced me that it was worth finishing; two sittings later I ended up with what you see in the 1st photo.

I also took a snapshot of the 2nd sitting, but had since then lost it somewhere.  Anyways, once I was convinced that I could do no more harm, the foreground & vase calmly found a place into my heart; so I framed it and a few weeks later was able to find it a new home in June.

Most importantly here, it wasn't the fact that I sold it to confirm the painting was absolutely finished, but it was purely artist's intuition I must say; and I stand by my work!!  I hope this helps you with any of your still-life painting's in question, new or old.


No comments:

Post a Comment