Monday, August 13, 2018

Wild Daisies Plucked From a Concrete Curb.

     Last Spring as I was driving around town on a beautiful night just south of where I lived, I noticed a small bunch of wild daisies sprouting out of the side of a curb, as I was stopped at a traffic light.  As soon as the green light gave me the signal I was on my way again as I took a left down the next road to wherever it was I was going; then it occurred to me, the path I was on wasn't a definite one, so: "why not turn around and bring those daisies home and put them to use, they were fine where they were, and since they were growing on a curb out into a public street, they weren't technically anyone's property.
    
       Nonetheless, I pulled up quickly to the curb, jumped out with my scissor already in hand and with a couple of forceful and swift snips, they were in my possession and I quickly got into my car, placing them carefully in the passenger seat as if they were my newly welcomed guests!
   
       I place them in water that night as soon as I got home, I had not a real vase so I use the next best thing and place them in a red drinking container, that I got from my bank as an apology for a mistake I'd brought to their attention; It worked out for the best as this deep interesting red went nicely with my curbside Daisies.  So the next few days these flowers were put to good use up until they ran out of life, and as you can see below they do still exist.  These 5 Still Life are what I produced, and one photograph I took to document their existence as they really looked as a reference.





 These photos are in chronological order, the mediums I use are a range of Gouache, pastel, oil pastel, pencil/graphite and watercolors..all 11x14 in size.



The next two images are a bonus as they are abstract, and possibly the last one a type of self portrait, in reaction if you will from the fury as to which the 5 Still Lifes I painted:









No comments:

Post a Comment