Friday, August 29, 2014

ZEN Part II: Since When is This Not Mine?



ZEN  C.T. Rasmuss,  Lucid Mosaic (July 2014).
 
Here is ZEN, finished after 6 months of work, from Janurary to July, 2014.  I'm not sure how long it took as far as actual hours, but I can at least estimate it in the hundreds...still a few lose ends to deal with, driving those hours up even more..
 
Today I encountered an argument as to why artists should recieve royalties here in America on their work, once it reaches the auction houses beyond original sale(where the real value for priceless creations start), "Congress will consider the American Royalties Too (A.R.T.) Act, which would give artists five percent of the purchase price when their original works are resold at auction...The first droit de suite" law passed in France almost 100 years ago and similar laws exist in more than 60 countries."
 
I suffered in many ways to get this passion of mine, ZEN realized(lack of income, eye/physical strain, emotional/physical stress and agony), so, should I just recieve a mere possible $1,500(which at 250 hours =$6/hr) if I'm lucky or even less and be done with this piece, "my baby" forever..??  N then say it sold someday at acution, entering the prestige of a museum possibly for $80,000, should I just be able to attend the auction and not have any part in its official acceptance into the artworld.
 
Musicians hold the rights to their music beyond their death, authors too, so why not Aritsts??  This is my creation and if someone else profits, I'm happy for them, but if they make a fortune of my labor, and give me not my due respect, a mere %5 for inventing it in the first place; that's like saying Musicians, Writers, Filmmakers, Athletes etc. hold all the value in our culture vs. artists slave in the gutters of our culture?? 
 
I think not!  I slave today so that tomorrow can be better, not just for others, as its not right for someone to "low ball" me just because I'm desperate for more materials.  I'm cornered into a profession that takes time to develop, with out any real income up front, I hope our congress respects us and sees us as equals to other respected professions, by passing the law, as our co-partners in freedom/democracy, France has; the country who gave us The Statue of Liberty, created by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, an artist.
 
P.S. Why is it not acceptable for the buyer to scratch out my name and replace it with theirs?..
 
 
 
Here is a sneak peak of the next of my Lucid Mosaics already in process as of August 5th, 2014:
 
A Provencal Garden, Letters to Bernard   C.T. Rasmuss, Lucid Mosaic in progress (2014).



No comments:

Post a Comment