Monday, August 11, 2014

My 1st Book Cover Arrives: A Lacanian Approach with Artwork by C.T. Rasmuss.


 
My book finally came in the mail today, about a year after being asked for the Copyright to my watercolor/gouache painting "Kandinsky Trial 1".  Of course I didn't write the book, so technically it's not my book, not sure really what it is, but the author signed it to me, which makes this specific copy very special!
 
I was excited to see it on my door step and after opening it, but for some reason I strangely felt empty inside; it's as if my sense of accomplishment went out the window after bringing the book through the door!  I feel so disconnected from this piece of work, not that I'm dissatisfied with it, but perhaps it's because I have no one to share it with..
 



Other than my selfish pity and ego aside, I sincerely believe this book will be a great success, now that I'm experiencing a sudden turn in mood: I recall a book by Jacques Lacan himself, the psychoanalyst that Jonathan Redmond, the author bases his analysis upon; the book found below is graced by M.C. Escher's 'Moebius Strip II'. 

Escher has been an idol of mine in every sense of the word 'art', he is the very 1st artist who's artwork I can ever remember having a sense of appreciation for.  The coincidence of Escher's artwork being on the cover of a book by Lacan, and my artwork being on the cover of a book based on a Lacanian approach; was something I had discovered just last month searching the web(in anticipation of receiving my personalized copy).


 

So now that it's here and in my hand, I will try and do everything I can to be happy with it, and no matter how big or small the accomplishments also, from here on out; as today is the day a childhood hero of mine(the world over) took his own life...Robin Williams, who I'll always best know as 'Mork' from "Mork & Mindy", a show that will always remain pure in my heart.

I say this because I believe Robin's bright searing flame spattered to a spark, and his severe depressive state extinguished it. I can empathise with him to the extent that on a road of one accomplishment to the next, life can be very hard and disappointing, especially during the down times, which accompany the peaks.  I also think of how funny and fitting that these two types of books are just what a person like him & myself could use some studying of.  It may be too late for him but it's not for me, goodbye Mork, we'll miss you, but hello to more success, I hope, and the down times that accompany them.

Link to see: 'Kandinsky Trial 1' painting from Artist Integrity blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment