Friday, September 12, 2014

Copying the Masters leads to True ORIGINALITY.

Jackson Starr-fish  C.T. Rasmuss, acrylic (Aug. 2014).

When people grace me with the pleasure of asking me about my process, I respond enthusiastically as best I can; I tell them where my inspiration stems, and where I wish to take it(if given the proper time, and no tangents).

And at times I have other artists, especially, challenge me as to why, in this particular case(referring to Jackson Starr-fish) "Why copy Jackson Pollock, why not do your own thing?".  Well, once n for all I hope to give a good enough explanation, worthy for any further criticisms, or doubt from here on out..

Here below is Pollock's 'Wooden Horse', 1956:

   'Wooden Horse, number 10A'  Jackson Pollock, enamel/wood (1956). 

...I mention this because when I first got to New York in 2006-7, I encountered this piece and it stood out to me more than any other of his and comparatively other artists, up to that point and ever since then worldwide, alive or dead.  This painting still does, but now in a different way, by comparing my 'Jackson Starr-fish' with Pollock's 'Wooden Horse'.  It say's to me: "I've succeeded in coming to terms with my encounter with this specific painting and the artist-master who created it!"

Now I may move on, because I believe the piece you see below, is the beginning of my separation as an artist from the master, specifically in this case Pollock; but this is just one line of work in my overall oeuvre, as I have many other inspirations, aspirations, and paths to start anew:
                                            Stop Sex Trade  C.T. Rasmuss, Mixed Media (Aug. 2014).

So this is where I leave you Pollock(as you left Benton), thanks for the technique and inspiration; I will proudly take it from here, and see where it leads me, as this fits into one of my philosophies: "...bringing the past into the future, creates a rich society".

I just hope someday that my artwork too, is worthy of duplication someday, in a effort to reach into the Great Beyond, an exercise necessary in order to truly be ORIGINAL.





No comments:

Post a Comment