Monday, September 22, 2014

James McNeill Whistler: Adaptation of an Artist's Radical Template. (Part 1 of 2)

                                                Self Portrait  C.T. Rasmuss, oil (2008).

After 10 years of putting my heart n soul into this, I can now safely say with humility: "that I am an artist, and will die an artist".

I believe that I've moved forward  in my life in many ways, thanks to my particular "Pursuit of Happiness"; which is: painting and sculpture mostly.  The fuel is my past, both good & bad; and the need for a higher spiritual being beyond my present state, in a never ending perpetual focus.

Given the clarity which I see all of this, there still remains the other half: "How to sustain/fund my exploration?"; I personally believe that Universally we are at a crossroads in the art-world, with many more than just 2 = +, as we are much more complex than any other generation before us, technologically, population wise, philosophically, religiously, you name it..

The reason for my blog post is: I plan to present a local gallery with a curated show(all of my own artwork) with a focus on introducing a new way in which the art interacts with the patrons or viewer.  In an effort to bring the meaning of Contemporary art up to speed with our modern society; as the current standard of white walls, wine, and paintings all in a row, is a standard that was introduced over a century ago.

Via this post and Part II, I hope to show you how this change was a response to then what was a modern time, which has been outdated for sometime now, and how again it's time for a major upgrade.  I believe it's not up to the galleries to make this upgrade, as they try, in an effort to make sales and purely customer based, but it's always been up to us, the story tellers, the creators of these ideas that make the world reflect upon itself.

There is a great example of how a single artist can influence "the way things are done", this particular artist I'm speaking of and inspired by was a radical with radical ideas, painting ideas and methods; who changed the way things were done in his time, he promoted himself in a new way and single handidly influenced the standard, to adapt to the changing times and needs of his era:

Portrait in Grey, self portrait  James McNeill Whistler, oil (1872).
Before getting into the nitty gritty, first a few examples of James McNeill Whistler's innovations,

"Whistler invented a monogram signature—a stylized butterfly based on his initials—and always placed it deliberately as a compositional element, not just a maker's mark. His devotion to overall harmony extended to interior decoration, furniture, and the design of frames and even entire exhibitions. He became a central figure in the Aesthetic movement, which was founded on the philosophy of "art for art's sake" and emphasized artistic principles, elevated taste, and creative eclecticism in the conception and production of furniture, metalwork, ceramics and glass, textiles and wallpaper, and other objects. He was also an influential print-maker. Whistler's innovative paintings and pronouncements invited controversy."

     -Heilbrunn Timeline of art History


This is where I leave you for now; next I will give you more specifics on Whistler's contributions to the art-world, "art for art's sake" - wise, etc. and I'll show you how I plan to adapt his "template" to the way things must change for today.  There's a great change that must take place worldwide, especially in a way that the dedicated artist can be fully successful in the 21st Century; (of course there are many solutions to a problem); and I've firm belief in in this vision of mine, which is derived from a Master of masters.

Follow this link to view the completed part 2 of 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment