Monday, December 15, 2014

White Canvas, Frames on a Wall, and a Palette Caught in the Act.

Palette Caught in the Act  C.t. Rasmuss, photograph with i-phone (Dec. 2014).

Last week, I was in the middle of painting some frames for an upcoming art exhibit of mine, which is now, this Friday; and as I was doing something with one of the more unfinished ones, I briefly glanced back over my shoulder, and this is sort of what I saw.  I didn't do anything to it(touch it or anything), I just left it as it was, and having the need to make this perception permanent, I did what any good photographer would do, I got my camera phone and took the shot.

And now I'm so glad I that I did!  I posted this photo on Facebook soon afterwards, and to a bigger reaction than anticipated, it got many likes, a share, and some commentary; so to sum it up: this photo was effective in making a point, but question is: "what that point(s) does it make"?  To answer: I'm not quite sure yet, but I think it goes deeper than first anticipated.  One of those shots I guess, that only comes from a mixture of intuition and the faith to take the shot!



When I was in art school down in Tampa, Florida(USF) about 5 years ago, I remember this girl in one of my conceptual art classes; we had our biggest assignment at the end of the year and remember putting lots of time into mine, as well as most other students in the class.  The reason I remembered this girl and the only reason she stood out was cause for her art assignment she had just placed a regular frame on a wall and that was her project, many of us all just looked at each other in disproving reactions mostly; as we all felt that she was grasping at straws, as the rest of us had put real thought  into our work and most of us took it seriously.  
This also reminded me of the 1st time I'd seen the White canvases on the top floor of the MoMA, when I attended Hofstra, a few years before USF; and I can't help but think that my photo is a result of all these factors.  The two photos above are obviously pictures of frames, meant for their original purpose(top photo), and for interior design(bottom photo)and not in the name of Fine Art in my opinion.  

*

*I'm unable to cite these two works of art, as the sites I'd gotten them from, hadn't cited them either*

 *

Once in one of my sculpture classes at USF, I "accidentally" spent many hours on a White canvas of my own, which started out as a gigantic hard surface canvas for sculptural purposes, but ended up as a "White canvas" for my final critique(one in which my professor said was better than most graduate exit critiques). 'Palette Caught in the Act' raises at least two questions: "Is the White canvas, Fine Art?" and "Is a frame on a wall or around a palette, Fine Art?"; my answer to both of these is: "depends on the context they're in..".  As an example, based on my answer, the first two photos, again are not Fine art...but the second two are!  

The second grouping fits the category of Fine art because: the top photo is a frame that is deconstructed, then reconstructed into a completely different composition, where the artist seems to be trying to make an artistic statement; and the bottom photo is more obvious, as its actually in a Gallery, where it still can be disputed, but that's a different argument.  

As for my photo, I will defend my increasing like for it, by stating that: it's an original concept as far as I'm aware of, I meant to make an artistic statement by taking the photo(a composition that no longer exists within 10 minutes of "taking the shot", as the frame is now in use and the palette is back to being just a palette), which defines my statement: The Metaphysical Argument.  What that is specifically, we may never know for sure, but it's why I took the shot; our need to explore further into the void..

White Canvas 2  Robert Rauschenberg

Shown above is Rauschenberg, sitting in front of one of his White canvases, I can't recall who the 5 or 6 artists at the MoMA were, but this one was brought to my attention by my artist friend John Sousa.



No comments:

Post a Comment