Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Carl Jung, According to our Universe (Part 1of 3)

                                                                                               Artwork by Kevin Loughran

As I attended graduate school at Hofstra University on Long Island(2007-08), I became very aware and interested in the writings and findings of the Psychologist, Carl Jung.  Jung collaborated with Sigmund Freud for about 7 years,  Freud called Jung "his adopted eldest son, his crown prince and successor".  Jung however, went into a different direction than Freud as they split professional ways, concerning himself for the majority of his career with the collective unconscious

For those not familiar with Jung or the collective unconscious, I will explain in the next upcoming parts 2&3 of this blog series...for now I'm mostly concerned here in introducing participants to an artist and his work that I had been recently introduced to, Kevin Loughran.  I mentioned to him via FB that his work reminded me of Carl Jung, mandalas and universal archetypes somehow; he then informed me that I was on the right track in mentioning this and at the same time increased my insight on the overall picture of Jung and his (our) collective unconscious, by informing me that Jung just wasn't into art and psychology, etc. but also things like the universe and astrology in his words..."his quotes keep being referenced in the Astrology books and articles i read."

                                                                                                       Fractal 3, C.T.Rasmuss (2010)

The following dialogue takes place after Kevin viewed my series of Fractals after sharing them with him, this conversation being through this piece of mine and his (seen above):


Kevin Loughran This is Wonderful, Chad! The Brightness and Freshness of it is in contrast with the Complexity of the Shapes. Reminds Me of the Final Scene in the film, "The Incredible Shrinking Man." As he approaches the Atomic level he becomes Aware of New Universes Opening Up to Him. That's what i see when i look at the Centre of this. Love it!!! :)

  • Chad Rasmussen thnks Kevin, never saw the movie, but I realized this same sort of thing only after viewing your work; fnny how thet are all connected somehow, likesoe eternal cosmic puzzle always coming together one clue at a time!!

  • Kevin Loughran Well Said That Man! An Eternal Cosmic Puzzle... Like It! Watch That Movie... :)

  •  
    Not only did this allow us to have further insights to our own works and into a Public Figure like Carl Jung that we both happen to admire, but I also received advice on another movie to watch; for even more insight on who knows what...possibilities are always promising and sometimes as simple as watching a nicely recommended film.  More on Carl Jung, Kevin's "Atomic Level" insight discussed in part 2&3, I will also talk about Jung's Individuation process and polar opposites, etc. stay tuned:)
     
     



     

    3 comments:

    1. Chad, You are a Gentleman! :) Thank You So Much for including my painting in this Blog. I am So Excited that Our discussion has generated this article you have posted! My Mind has been Buzzing Ever Since, and i am so Grateful to have been part of this. Your painting has helped me Grow Neurons! (Trust me, i need all the Help i can get with that! LOL!) ;)
      Carl Jung's work continues to Fascinate and Enlighten to this day, and Time has proved the Validity and Substance of his writings. A True Champion of the Imagination!!! Thank You for Your Generousity and Insight.
      I have The Incredible Shrinking Man on poor quality VHS... In the morning I will run to the shops to buy it on DVD!!! Cant Wait!!! :) :) :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Anonymous, your welcome and I'm glad I was able to come across your work in the Art group on FB, I'm also happy to hear that our conversation got your mind 'Buzzing Ever Since' lol; gives us purpose we are looking for ey??;) The sooner I see the movie the sooner my head will too, some more, Teamwork is the key!! Says my newly found motto-attachment, part of my conscious constructs now, bringing it to the forefront!!! certainly looking forward to writing next blog,(part 2)thanks a million...

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you Kevin for your comment, Anonymous October 10, 2012; still figuring out how to change from 'anonymous':)

      ReplyDelete