Thursday, October 25, 2012

Another Wolf on the Prowl


Have you received something from a (perhaps bogus) magazine company like this one???


**Bogus Art Magazine Scam**
**Bogus Art Magazine Scam**


I call it the: give me your hard earned money for the dim prospect of being 'featured' in my bogus, non-circulated magazine scam! (acronym to come later):

Just got this e-mail today, enter at your own risk I say; first thing I said to my Nephew sitting next to me before opening it, I said "How much will this cost me? (lol) and if it's more than one penny I'm out:)".  Well if your in, then be my guest an accept this invite in my stead  But $35 to enter a contest to get published in a poorly designed, and lowly published farce then I guess, go ahead and waste your money; but I say it ends here, are you with me???

It's how they make their money, not by helping the arts or artist, but through the entry fees to the contest and who knows what the 2nd tier of their con is?...it sure won't be me finding out;) Pass it on!!!


If you see this e-mail or one like it, then you are being preyed upon!


*******************************SCAM ALERT*************************************


  

 M   A   G   A   Z   I   N   E

GET FEATURED IN ARTDISTRICTS
ART BASEL Issue

               


ARTDISTRICTS magazine announces an open call to artists. The winner will be the “FEATURED ARTIST” in our Art Basel 2012 (December/January) issue. The featured artist will receive a 4 page article to be published in both the printed and digital edition of ARTDISTRICTS. The winner will be chosen based on the quality and originality of his/her proposal.
Deadline: Nov. 4th, 2012

                    
Newsletter service provided by:     ARTDISTRICTS                                                    
W Media LLC
P.O. Box 960008
Miami, FL 33296-0008
ARTDISTRICTS offers personalized announcements and press releases via email. Send your press releases with ARTDISTRICTS and reach our growing community of +50,000 qualified visual artsubscribers. For rate information contact us at info@artdistricts.com 

Unsubscribe: Email: 'Unsubscribe' ; If you no longer want to receive messages from us, simply click on the unsubscribe button and type the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

*******************************SCAM*ALERT************************************

3 comments:

  1. I got the same email, twice. Once directly and once again forwarded by an artist friend.

    You have to wonder if "......+50,000 qualified visual art subscribers....." means the same thing as >50,000. And is so, how many less? And what exactly IS a qualified visual art subscriber anyway :-)

    I'll be joining you in NOT applying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Alison!

      not that you won't be joining a magazine, but that you "won't be getting duped by a magazine 'front'" ?? :)

      Good point on the usage of + vs. >; not sure how that works, but one good thing about our profession is that it requires a fair amount of intuition and I agree with yours as well;)

      Thanks for joining the good fight Alison, take care and good fortune!!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete