Friday, October 5, 2012

What is in A Name?

             China Sky, C.T.Rasmuss (2011)



"well done, revolutionary and transient and yet permanent as an experience here this photo." 
 
                                                                                                                  Fred Tarr

I'd like to thank my friend and colleague Fred for this comment on my painting that I posted in an artist group on FB; as I was pondering on what approach I would take on understanding my painting 'outloud' earlier today.

Before I came across this comment, my approach was going in the direction of discussing the way I came up with the title for the artwork; months after I had finished it, I picked it up for about the 8th or 10th time and it suddenly came to me, China Sky.  Able to reflect on this piece again, I realized the most important aspect of this piece(to me as the artist); I look at it and think of China, because of the correlation to the sun coming up over the Himalayans and their national flag for some reason.  

I get a pure satisfaction gazing into it, similar to peering up to the sky on a uniquely beautiful morning, but as if I had been in China which I've never been to.  Hence the close relation to my friends response, an act of fate if you will; all boiling down to a title that makes sense to me because I realize it's not an abstract but a transient..experience, a truth derived from pure creativity and resolution by way of giving the experience a Name.


C.T. Rasmuss

2 comments:

  1. good connection here. and well thought out and shared experience. we value thoughtful observations and happenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Fred! "thoughtful" being the emphasis, thanks again man! have a great one!!!

      Delete