Thursday, August 2, 2012

Seurat and the Gang; How it all Inspired a Mosaic.


                                       The Bathers at Asnières, 1884, George Seurat; in the National Gallery, London

Most importantly to a man that spent a very short life, creating but a few masterpieces of this magnitude, an artist who has more unfinished works than finished ones(for very good reasons); I ask:
 "how is this piece significant to you?"

For me the answer is: "it's the perfect intersection between perspective and composition, perfection of light and color theory the Impressionists were collectively working towards."  Seurat was is widely known for inventing divisionism & popular technique called, Pointillism; he may have contributed some of the fewest pieces out of this famous group of French artists, but they hold their equal weight in my book.

His painting featured here being his biggest achievements, in size and stature, I as well as the the majority of the art world seem to believe this to be true.  Much like Seurat, I believe that I have found my 1st 'Bathers', I title it 'Blue Vase' (synthetic mosaic seen below); a style greatly influenced by Vincent Van Gogh's impasto style, Pollock's pouring methods and largely Seurat's color theory, and later Kandinsky's theory on color composition. 

The former 3 living short lives and the later Kandinsky starting very late in life, contributed a great amount to the art world in such short amount of time.  It only makes me wonder how much I can with the possibility of even more time...if given the fortune to live a longer life like Monet, Picasso, or O'Keeffe, who all lived to be almost 100 years old


 Blue Vase  C.T. Rasmuss, synthetic mosaic (2011).
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment