Saturday, November 10, 2012

Huang Gongwang's 'Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains' (Part 1of 2).

So I enjoy meeting with an artist's group called, Creativa where there's always a plethora of mediums and backgrounds from which the artist operate; we've meet every 2nd Saturday for the last 5 years here in Cincinnati, OH. great times I might add!!

Monthly dilemma: what to do?  Like any other piece I attempt, I'm lucky in that it usually comes to me quick, then I just need to figure which direction to go in; again most like any other time, but this is a live performance which I've incorporated over the last few times we've met.  Here's my process for tonight; (short and quick) if your interested...

note: some variations in steps/order for each time I prepare, as artists are hopefully always changing their ways!!


Step 1: MEDIUM-  Which will be India Ink tonight.

Step 2: SET UP-     I will be using what I have available, which is a large sheet of heavy watercolor paper
                               tonight.


Step 3: COMPOSITION-
                               
                                Tonight I decided for the 1st time to pay homage to the originators of this  
                                medium; and  I'm now in the hunt to learn more about one of these masters from                             
                                the East.


Step 4: SKETCH- Once I find what strikes me, I'll learn more about their work, and quickly sketch it.

Step 5: CHOOSE MUSIC- I usually choose 3-4 songs totaling under 10-12 minutes, theme's important.

Step 6: EXECUTE!!!

Step 7: SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE NIGHT AND ARTISTS AT WORK!!!


Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains (first half)  Huang Gongwang (1350).


Dwelling in the Fuchun Mountains" is one of the few surviving works by the painter Huang Gongwang in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368).  He's considered a member of the "four great masters of the Yuan." 

Huang spent his last years in the Fuchun Mountains near Hangzhou and completed this painting in 1350.

After Sketching I ran into bit of a problem..

This MASTERPIECE requires much more than just a quick sketch I believe, and I wouldn't be giving it's due or the artist his respect if I didn't study this very intricate and complex composition much more before executing.  It took an attempt at sketching before realizing this and rather than forcing it; I will now move to plan B, and render a photo I took last night after leaving a disappointing art opening.

TO BE CONTINUED...



No comments:

Post a Comment