Monday, September 17, 2012

Kimon Nicholaedes, 'The Natural Way to Draw'

Nicolaïdes was born in Washington, D.C., his mother's American ancestors date back to the Colonial period. He made his living initially by a variety of jobs, including picture framing, journalism and some acting.  He was well known for his manuscript The Natural Way to Draw, which was incomplete at the time of his death; a close friend and former student, Mamie Harmon, oversaw its completion and its publication in 1941.  His influence on the teaching of drawing has been long-lasting and substantial, and his book is still in use today. In brief, he advocated a three-pronged way of learning to draw, through (1) slow and meticulous contour drawing, (2) free and rapid gesture drawing, and (3) vigorous tonal drawings of weight or mass.

                                             
                                                Example of Natural Way to Draw Method,
                                                                              (Anonymous Student; 2011)
 Thank You Savannah, for allowing me as an artist to make another connection by way of your comment on my last post on Basquiat.  I posted a drawing below, which I did in the drawing class I mentioned in my last post; I was taught a method that I wasn't even aware of who I might be able to thank.  So I thank you now, Kimon Nicholaedes for laying the groundwork for my teacher to teach me as I will do the same to others, but I now have a name to the face, as my students will:)

                                                                                 'Hand Study', C.T. Rasmuss; 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment