Friday, September 14, 2012

Pastel in the Abstract

                                                                    'Infinite Sunset', C.T. Rasmuss; 2008
When faced with the medium, pastel, I find myself time and time again being drawn litteraly to accenting it's line quality; at times I incorporate oil pastel mostly as filler of color to get a richer and thicker texture.  I give absolute praise to any artist that can create life like qualities with this challenging yet beautiful medium that isn't used as much as it should, or taken as seriously as it should be taken ever since Degas' extrodinary use of it as he captured the essence of his dancers with it over and over.  Degas has been called the most prolific user of this medium and it's champion, I hope that in our generation we will start to see a re-emergence of this medium in some effort to challenge the 'champion'!!

                                                                                  Pink dancers, Edgar Degas

Another example of my pastel usage:

No comments:

Post a Comment