Friday, September 7, 2012

The Quixotic Affect on the World's Greatest Artists Ever.

                                                                     'Quixotic', C.T. Rasmussen; 2009

I was 1st introduced to the novel, The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha written by Miguel de Cervantes; 1605 and 1615 back in 2001. The first copy I purchased had a famous illustration of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza on the cover done by Pablo Picasso, setting me on a path I wouldn't see til later in life when I dedicated my life to being a full time artist and seeker of the Quixotic in me.  I believe that the perfect capture of these two main character's of Cervante's genius everlasting "Quixotic" romance novel; is comparable to Captain Ahab's white whale, but from an artist perspective: the perfect capture of their true visual character. 

                                                                   Don Quixote, Picasso; 1955

During my quest and conquer for the perfect capture of these two characters, suprisingly I ran in with Salvador Dali's many renditions allowing me to realize I was certainly not alone in this quest or to be affected in this wa; further understanding that many many more artists other than myself and Picasso find Don Quixote to be hypnotic.  This fictional character's wild antics all for love and romaticism as he searched to save his disillusioned Dulcinea of El Toboso; the woman Don Quixote fancies his lady lovel is beyond words, and why the need for more explanation and other avenues of explanation.  I finally had a common interest with not only other readers of this book and empathizers of these two tragic souls, but a common center point to be shared with other artists (Master Artists) as well.

                                                         Don Quixote, Salvador Dali, etching
 
                                                                   Don Quixote, Salvador Dali, 1983

 As you will easily notice in all 4 versions of these two character's visual portrayals, is that all 4 of them are visually completely of their own uniquie description; showing off the fact how dynamic and ellusive the personalities of these two wonderful characters are.  as well as the affect on Cervante's reading audience and it's centuries upon centuries upon centries worth of admirers.

Follow this link to a more complete list of works influenced by Don Quixote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_influenced_by_Don_Quixote


No comments:

Post a Comment