Thursday, November 22, 2012

Ode to Vincent Van Gogh: '100 Paintings in 30 Days' by C.T.Rasmuss

Pews & Hues  C.T.Rasmuss, permanent marker on canvas (2012).



Well I looked and I looked and couldn't find what I was looking for; I've heard that Van Gogh worked on something like 100 paintings in Paris before his death...there are all kinds of numbers and days that they took place in, but I'm not concerned with all that really.   

I, like many others happen to be fascinated with this artist's dedication through out his short life.  Not to take away from other prolific artists who lived short lives such as Seurat who only lived to be 31, but there's just something about Van Gogh's story I'm particularly drawn to.

In light of whatever the truth may be, I've decided to attempt 100 Paintings in 30 Days, paying respect to Vincent's commitment to something he could hardly understand himself.  My goal isn't to reach a goal/quota, it's the whole idea of having a 'purpose', a vision and execution thereof; simply understanding an experience by experiencing it myself...and in my own way.

The drawing above has been around for awhile(about a year or so), I touched it up just the other day and it's what gave me this idea.  Today is the 2nd step in that process, to set it in motion; and after 30 days whether I have 100 masterpieces or just 100 studies, it's the experience that's most important to me here..

WISH ME LUCK!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment